Monday, August 2, 2010

Elipse Absurdity and a Raging Redhead


As currently I am largely given box office shifts at work, I happen to have to deal with a lot of the crazies that come up to expel their pointless flap at me through a sheet of glass. Though sometimes I get the pleasure of witnessing someone throw a hissy fit without their anger being directed at me. Last Sunday (8-1-2010) I was in the box office with Ricky and Miss Bow, so thankfully I knew I wouldn’t be completely bored to death during my six hour shift.
Occasionally customers will pre-order their tickets, usually when they are buying a large amount of tickets, or for a movie that is expecting to sell out on it’s opening weekend. While working box with me Ricky had a customer, a blonde woman wearing a white blouse, she had apparently pre-ordered tickets for Eclipse, and wanted to redeem them to see the movie. She flipped Ricky her credit card so that he could put it through the machine, and print the tickets, as flying platypus jumping out of the machine isn’t likely to happen. And that way…was no different. Though strangely enough, the card did not work, as a message reading “No Transaction Found” appeared on the screen when the card was swiped.
Ricky told the blonde lady that apparently the card was not the one that she used to pay for her tickets with. She took this to be some kind of strike against her, and began to yell at him for what was obviously his attempt to publicly humiliate her in front of the absent customers behind her. Following this she went inside and knocked at the door, and Ricky went to open the door without checking the peep-hole. As he opened the door the woman began ranting at Miss Bow who stood by wishing for psychic powers, so that the lady would blow up. We closed the door on her, and barricaded ourselves inside the box offices as if he were under attack by sasquatches from the future. Eventually the blonde woman found her ticket conformation code, and we put it in the machine, waiting for a dingy-load of tickets to come up. Alas only one ticket popped up, leaving us very disappointed.


Despite my obviously angry and gladiator-like exterior, I don’t try and get myself into fights with most people, seeing as they would instantly lose once I showed them my incredible kung-fu grip. Recently, Linzie; a colleague of mine returned from an extensive trip of a certain boot shaped country located in the soft underbelly of Europe. Though we aren’t the closest of friends, we aren’t above saying “hello” to one another in passing, or perhaps we were. As for a long time we would simply open our eyes wide as we passes one another in the hallway, as though we had just seen something rather shocking.
On one of her first days back working Stateside I was in the box office changing the movie times, when my manager Chris walked in, followed by Linzie. We had gotten to chatting while I was going through the plastic rectangles in a fastidious fashion, and replacing the now outdated show times for movies. At some point of the conversation I had mentioned that Linzie’s hair was the same color as a well known citrus fruit, this was my undoing. She flew into a rage, and gingerly (pun) picked up a local screwdriver and reeled it back to strike me down into the ground. I bravely cowered in fear as she stood above me with a flat head, ready to hack my ineffective brain all over the floor, while Chris stood back and laughed.
I’m not sure how I survived, perhaps she felt I was too pathetic to kill, or just not good sport. Whatever it was she learned in me a lesson I shant soon forget. Unless I do.

1 comment:

  1. Having a smidge of red hair myself, I sometimes wonder if its the cause of my endless rage. It'd make life easier if I just had to be bald to be stress free.

    ReplyDelete